Bruno Fernandes scored his 100th career goal to boost Manchester United’s Champions League hopes and end Aston Villa’s 10-match unbeaten run.
Fernandes pounced six minutes before half-time after Emiliano Martinez had turned Marcus Rashford’s shot into his path.
It sealed a deserved victory for the hosts, who had already gone close through Marcel Sabitzer.
United midfielder Casemiro also hit the bar and curled a second-half effort just wide.
However, Ezri Konza nearly scrambled a close-range equaliser from a late corner that had been flicked on at the near post, but the Villa defender was unable to adjust his body position quickly enough to steer the ball goalwards and United were able to clear.
The result ensures United have a healthy advantage on the clubs chasing a top-four spot, with Villa now nine points adrift of the Red Devils having missed the chance to cut the gap to just three points.
More to follow.
How to play
Rate players out of 10 throughout or after the game. The rater will close 30 minutes after the final whistle.
Rating range key = Give it up = Pure perfection
- 1de Gea
- 12MalaciaBooked at 90mins
- 8Bruno Fernandes
- 15SabitzerSubstituted forMaguireat 86′minutes
- 14EriksenSubstituted forFredat 76′minutesBooked at 87mins
- 25SanchoSubstituted forAntonyat 76′minutes
- 10RashfordSubstituted forMartialat 86′minutes
- 1E Martínez
- 18YoungSubstituted forChambersat 64′minutes
- 15MorenoSubstituted forDigneat 75′minutes
- 32DendonckerSubstituted forTraoréat 64′minutes
- 6Douglas Luiz
- 10BuendíaSubstituted forDuránat 76′minutes
- 41J Ramsey
- 3Santos Silva
- Jarred Gillett