In this episode, Andrew and I discuss Turo’s mission, how marketing can help achieve it, and how he sees the role of CMO today. Andrew talks about the challenges Turo faced in the early days, how they were circumvented, and how the shift to focus on improving the host experience was one of his most effective marketing assets. Outline. Turo’s newest ‘Open Doors’ brand details his campaign and how they’re riding the web3 craze by defeating it and encouraging new experiences in the real world. Andrew feels that his role as CMO is more than just advertising and performance his marketing. It’s about solving customer problems. His approach is rooted in a holistic mindset and an understanding of how to provide value to the world.
Andrew Mok was left-brained and didn’t see himself in marketing, but when analytics became a big part of marketing in 2012, he found his way. rice field. When Andrew joined Turo in 2012, he had 54,000 users in just two cities. In 2017, at the age of 29, he was promoted to CMO and has expanded his company to over 10,000 cities serving 7 million users. Today, Turo is the world’s largest peer-to-peer car-sharing marketplace, and Turo’s revenue has grown more than 250 times since he joined. As an Asian American, Andrew has always felt different growing up, but now believes that difference should be celebrated. This is the approach he takes to marketing by showcasing Turo’s unique value proposition and realizing expressive and grounded brand values. He celebrates uniqueness and is all about seeing the person first.
In this episode you will learn:
- The unique challenges Turo faced early on and how they were overcome.
- Embracing uniqueness is Andrew’s personal value and how it shows in his approach to marketing.
- Why marketing holistically yields better results than siled ones.
- [01:30] How Turo Normalizes Weirdness
- [04:55] What is Turo?
- [07:20] From computer science to CMO
- [09:50] The Role of the CMO as Seen by Young Leaders
- [10:50] Make sure there are no leaky buckets
- [14:15] Open Doors Brand Campaign
- [17:40] Unreal Engine’s Role in Turo’s New Campaign
- [19:00] Turo’s Global Expansion and Aspirations
- [21:50] Challenges and benefits of international ridesharing
- [22:40] Develop a passion for leadership in the AAPI community
- [26:45] How Asian-American Growth Shaped His Approach to Marketing
- [28:30] Enjoy the Present and Reflect on Past Successes
- [29:45] Simplification makes us better storytellers
- [30:50] The Importance of Accessible Reproductive Medicine
- [34:40] get out of the corporate echo chamber
Follow our podcast:
Connect with guests:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
Alan B. Hart is the author and host of Marketing Today with Alan Hart. In this podcast, he interviews leading global his marketing experts and his business leaders. Alan advises key management and marketing teams on brands, customer experiences, innovation and growth opportunities. Although he has consulted for Fortune 100 companies, he is an entrepreneur at heart and has been the founder or board member of nine companies.